Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Yes it's a long one but,

PLEASE READ THIS ONE TO THE END!<br />
<br />
I'm not trying to piss anyone off or single anyone out and I hope this will be taken in the spirit that it is given. As some of you know I'm no longer on the BOD and have taken emeritus status so if this does upset anyone it ain't coming from the Rough Riders themselves.<br />
<br />
First off I believe that everyone wants new shooters and spectators to come out and join us in the fun. Without new blood we die as a sport and as a club. That's especially true with our club as we are not sponsored by or go under the auspices of a gun club with other disciplines being shot on the same range. Yes our landlord Rob takes not one penny from us, but believe me insurance and other expense exists.<br />
<br />
Which brings me to why I'm typing now. For those that weren't at the shoot today we had an incident that was without injury, but could have been VERY BAD. We had some new spectators to the range who ended up going out behind the stages on top of the berm. Apparently they missed the warning signs and arrived after we had already started shooting so no one directed them to the right area for watching and/or shooting. Last years storms have dropped the old entrance posts that used to be at the beginning of the path going in by the stages and trailer so for anyone having never been out there before that additional "tell" is gone. Believe that we'll be adding more signs and making it more difficult for this to happen again.<br />
<br />
So here it is folks, we were very lucky that someone on Tina's posse saw the folks and shut us down immediately before anything really tragic happened. Thank you to whoever that was and it serves as a reminder that we all need to be vigilant. Safety first, last and always! If you invite a newcomer to watch or shoot PLEASE make sure they understand where we are and what's expected. As the RO classes stress all shooters are safe officers and there is no compromising that.

Comments

• I completely agree with you JJ
  • absolutely...... we need to get a consensus regarding visitors and formalize a statement that we can read before every meet. I will share a few of my own thoughts and procedures if you will that I use when some one says "hey can I come out and watch sometime"?<br />
    <br />
    age<br />
    health<br />
    reason/level of interest/motive<br />
    background/experience<br />
    <br />
    First I don't advertise so when I talk it's to close friends and here are some of the things that and while it may not be popular.... I DO PROFILE <br />
    <br />
    You need to be invited and I need to know when you're coming out<br />
    <br />
    very specific directions to range and safety requirements<br />
    <br />
    must check in at trailer and ask for me and or wave and someone will come<br />
    <br />
    this is not a public range so don't expect to shoot anything/don't bring anything to shoot <br />
    <br />
    I'm sure all you guys can add something and I hope this get's your juices flowing-let's all do this and come up with a procedure of sorts that we can all agree on and we'll put this behind us. I love this sport and want to keep it going safe and strong for generations to come.
  • jeweler jimjeweler jim Posse Whipping Boy
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]You can't legislate common sense or intelligence! That being said we already have in place what should work. The problem is when the spectators show up after the safety meeting and are new to the range. We've had four wheelers coming in form the north which is what prompted the posting of signage on the west and north of the property lines to prevent that from happening again. Having been with this outfit for a while I know where most of the bodies are buried, but getting long winded here is usually "preaching to the choir."[/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Short of posting humans on the north (out of shotgun range) and north end of the parking lot there is no fool proof way of preventing this from happening. Walking above the stages to the west you won't be seen until you get to stage five which is where Tina's spotters saw what was going on and thankfully shut us down.[/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Again, we want newbies, but as Mike said this ain't a public range and we need to pay attention. Thinking I might post another diatribe later tonight when I get back from the shop.[/font]
  • dddd Gnome, gnome on the range&#33;
    Yes, but I know why the bodies are buried.
  • jeweler jimjeweler jim Posse Whipping Boy
    'dd' wrote:
    <br />
    Yes, but I know why the bodies are buried.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Ah yes the three S's; shoot, shovel and shut up![/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman', times, serif]But really we've already made the SASS wire (anonymously thank you). Back in the day we used to occasionally have the "Good Guys Gazette" where we would put things out there for discussion and information. [/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman', times, serif]With that in mind I give you a couple of things that are touched on in the [/font][font=times new roman, times, serif]pre shoot meeting that I will expand on now.[/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman', times, serif]It is brought up that we have a first aid kit in the trailer. Actually we have two of them. One is for minor events (cuts, scrapes, etc.) and one is for major events or t[/font][font=times new roman, times, serif]rauma that might occur and would require aid being administered hopefully by a professional. So what happens should one of us go down with a "chest grabber" or some such major event. Hopefully while best available aid is being administered and also if necessary 911 will be called.[/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]How does the emergency vehicle find us? After evaluating the situation it can be determined whether the person needing aid can be moved to the front of the farm by Telegraph Rd. and waiting for the EMT's. Can't move the person; then someone will be sent to the front of the farm to guide the EMT's back to the range giving them the #10573 address at the front of the farm. Really for any major event or problem please get to one of the rough riders who ID themselves at the safety meeting (there's twelve of them so hopefully we have at least six to eight at every shoot. They will then hopefully facilitate matters to the best of their ability according to the plans they have discussed and have in place. [/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]It has been noted that we've also been informed by some shooters about possible medical problems that might occur with them. Not for broadcast, but if we know about medical conditions that exist it could go better for you if we know that it might be a condition that is ongoing for you rather than guessing wether it's heat exhaustion or some such other guessing of diagnosis. [/font]<br />
    <br />
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]We're out there to have fun and in my case harass the crap out of the other shooters. So communicating with each other on the safety and/or other serious things make the fun part possible. Perhaps some of my rants in the Gazette might be worth another read or first read for some. No I'm not the great author, but perhaps it could give us better ideas or plans from some thought that my diatribes might engender. [/font]